Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Sify Customer Care is living in denial

> Dear Susubh ,
>
> While the products are provisioned to give you speeds as defined , you are
> aware that the speed experienced is a nett result of various factors
> including the site you are trying to browse and its performance / load etc
> of these variables, many will be outside Sify's purview .

So, I try downloading from 10 different servers. I try visiting 10
separate websites. Over a period of around 1 week. All of them give me
same speeds, which were less than the speeds labeled on the package.
And this lasts for the duration of the entire day time not for certain
moments or minutes. And everything automagically goes alright at 10 in
the night. Does not look like normal behavior to me.

My sample example was RedHat fedora Linux with around 15 mirror
servers being picked randomly as per speeds. During the day (10am to
10pm), the average speed I got was 2.5-2.7KBs. During the night (10pm
to 10am), the average speed touches 6-7KBs. This cannot be due to
server issues from where files are being downloaded. In fact I should
have got better speeds during daytime considering America sleeps
during day time, if it indeed was server's issue. Looks to be more
like Sify's issue to me.

>
> But , when we are committing a certain sped to you on a pack , we ensure you
> are provisioned to get that much speed . Of course the terms of commercial
> usage etc will apply whereever valid .

Already clarified. I do not run a cyber cafe from my house. I write
articles and reviews. Run few Blogs and now a forum for Sify users.
Sometimes I do some offline freelance work and upload using Sify's
package... for these uploads, if you have a problem... i can purchase
a separate package that permits commercial usage if uploading files
for small freelance projects comes under commercial usage.

>
> The endeavour in the end is to give our customers a satisfactory browsing
> experience and therefore the menu of products available cover all different
> usage patterns and requirements based on customer feedback and requirements
> .

Through my Sify Broadband Blog and forum... I have seen how good Sify
is serving its customers around India. Check mouthshut.com Sify
broadband section... If you think, I am biased and criticize you for
no apparent reasons.

http://www.mouthshut.com/readproduct.php?cid=925039547&r=1
No i am not affiliated with them.

>
> Most of our customers are able to arrive at the right mix of an economically
> viable as well as technically satisfactory product as per their usage .

See the above link and you might get a clearer picture.

>
> Do let me know if any other clarification required .

My last 2 mails were regarding your new desktop client. Which has the
habit of stopping my net to work after every few hours even if I am
sitting online or downloading something. You had made it pretty clear
in your last mail... that Sify do not have a minimum speed guarantee
on shared packages. Something that I would suggest you should
highlight on the package rate pages.

And to continue on my last mail... I was again logged off 2 times
between my last mail and now.

Also, about speeds. Today was the first day in almost 2 weeks I got
decent speeds during daytime. I am not sure, if it was a favor or the
problem on my net line was fixed... but if it stays like this... I am
thankful to you.

Regards,
Sushubh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home