Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I feel extremely lucky as a Sify broadband user

After reading this report, I feel extremely lucky as a Sify broadband user. I beleive whatever is written in this report; in fact I have read scores of other similar reports, some in mild language, others extremely vile! Before I proceed any further, let me tell everyone that I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF SIFY!! Everytime I try to write anything in favour of Sify, I get wry comments to that effect.
It must be the bad luck of hundreds of people like you, and good luck for a handful of people like me, to be using Sify broadband. I am not in this forum just for the sake of argument, I just happened to come across these reports and feel it my duty to publish my unbiased personal experience, thats all. So much for clarification, now the facts; I stay in Delhi (East Delhi to be precise) and have been using a Sify BB connection for more than one year. It is a 256kbps always on connection, with a 1GB download limit and one month’s validity. After my initial payment of Rs.2000/- for installation, I got my connection the very next day. The partners, two young guys, (B.Tech in computer science), configured my computer with the necessary antivirus (McAfee at that time) and client software and within minutes I was riding on the internet highway. Seems too good to be true? It’s a fact.
Since then, other than occasional hiccups, I have rarely faced any serious problems. On a couple of occasions I did face persistent connectivity problems, and had to talk to their customer care guys who gave me lengthy instructions over the phone to solve the problem. But the problem didn’t budge. Finally I was on the verge of loosing my cool, and wanted to have a showdown with the cable guys. But before that I wanted to have a last try. I reinstalled Windows XP and logged in; to my surprise, everything was back to normal! I was about to fire the poor Sify guys for no fault of theirs. (Bill Gates should be listening).
I am a businessman having my office at my home, so I extensively use my computer throughout the day for surfing and downloading. Connectivity is instant, and without fail.
Recently I was contemplating migrating to some other service provider, hoping to strike a better deal. But after extensive survey in and around my area, I coudn’t find a better or cheaper internet service provider. For information, I tried Airtel, but they don’t give connection in our area; Tata VSNL is more expensive, and another provider by the name of Hotwire is also costlier. MTNL charges rent every month for the modem, or you have to shell out about Rs.2000/- to purchase your own. Their charges was also higher compared to Sify.
So the moral of the story is, the service and quality you get is a question of “where” and “when”; if you are lucky to get a last mile cable provider like mine, you’ll be a happy man. The above is totally my own experience, and I invite anybody to try it out at my place anytime! After all, seeing is believing.
PS. I just came accross an ad from MTNL Delhi giving broadband connection at 256 kbps for just Rs.199/- (plus modem rental Rs.80/-)per month with a data download limit of 400MB. Worth giving it a try?
C.Mitra

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home